The Action Network is an exciting sports media company that builds products and creates content to inform and entertain the sports bettor. The sports betting and fantasy sports space is massive ($170bn in the US), growing and underserved from a product and content perspective, and we have the talent, domain expertise and passion to win the space.
We are seeking a Backend Engineering Manager who is excited about building and leading a team of exceptional software engineers. The candidate and their team will be responsible for the development and maintenance of our core user-facing services (written in Node.js) that directly power our mobile and web products. They will also work collaboratively with multiple engineering and product teams to ensure that key initiatives and deliverables are successfully completed.
A few examples of cloud technologies we work with daily include Kubernetes, Postgres, AWS, ElasticSearch, Grafana, CloudWatch, EC2, Lambda, Route 53, Docker, Linux, Windows, Elasticache (Redis), S3, EKS, ECR, ELB, SES and SNS.
A few examples of development technologies we work with daily include Node, Postgres, Linux, C# .NET, and Windows.
- Motivate and inspire the team to deliver with quality in alignment with business goals.
- Collaborate with architecture, implementation, and scaling of the backend services powering our user-facing products.
- Grow, lead, and mentor a team of backend developers.
- Work in tandem with our engineering team to identify and implement the most optimal and cost-efficient cloud-based configurations for the company.
- Partner with multiple teams and personnel including Analytics Engineers, Software Engineers, and Product Stakeholders to create and maintain our feature product offerings.
- Assume operational responsibility for the services that are owned by your team.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for emergency support.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years hands-on experience building production applications and systems to help solve business operations and product issues.
- 3+ years of experience managing a software development team and dealing with production backend applications at scale.
- Significant experience with Postgres or strong RDMS knowledge.
- Significant experience with Node.js.
- Experience building and maintaining infrastructure in AWS or similar cloud environments.
- Proficient in the Agile/Scrum processes.
Benefits: We offer a very competitive health insurance package with great benefits, including unlimited vacation and a competitive 401k[Plan. The Company's Benefits Plans presently include Medical, Dental, Vision coverage, Supplemental life insurance and Long / Short-term disability coverage.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users and the community.
We have offices in NYC, San Francisco, Madison WI and Beverly MA